Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Nothing Plain About Plainsboro....March 28, 2016

Basically my week has been upside down and all around and topsy turvy (I'm dying cuz that autocorrected to "tipsy turkey" hahahaha) and completely psycho! It's been just fantastic...and yes, thats being sarcastic- but also slightly serious lol!

My new comp is S.Charles. She hails from Chino,CA and loves all things horses and dragons. So we're getting along great lol! She's a huge bookworm like moi, and we adore the same movies/tv shows/basically everything in life....except for the fact that she's a major health nut. I've never seen so many organic things in one place before- I can hear my fat cells screaming for mercy... *cough* but it's ok this won't stop me, I like giving them more friends to hang out with and stay warm together ;)  She reminds me of an elf, but I haven't decided which kind yet- I'm currently bouncing between a Santas Elf, or a Keebler Elf, but either way she's a tiny little thing. Maybe Gods trying to tell me something from the size of my past 2 comps...            Nah. Can't be.

Anyways, I digress. Onto my week! Lol
Tuesday I said goodbye to the Land That Stole My Heart, and my Sister From Another Mister (but it's ok, cuz she's coming back next month! YAAAY!!!!) and moved my little self into my even tinier new apartment. We live in the garage of a members home. Yes, you read that right: the garage. So ya, haha, it's tiny and cramped and super fun. It makes cleaning quick tho, so that's a plus.
We also switched out the areas car for a new one that day- and the car they gave us is not only missing hubcaps and has a dent, but it's headlights weren't working either...thanks Elders... So we spent most of Thursday day out of our area in the nearest Pep Boys. On the plus side, it gave S. Charles and I a LOT of time to get to know one another! 
Wednesday we had District Meeting at the Princeton Chapel, and I'm suuuuuuuper excited for this zone! There's 6 elders here I already know, and a bunch of cool ones I'm excited to work with, and it's a BroZone!!!!!! Ah. God just continues to bless me with greatness. I could never do a SisTrict *shudders*
Friday I actually got to meet members from the ward! The first week is always the worst week because you literally know no one, so it was great meeting our 2 Recent Converts and a Less Active. We had some great lessons with them, and I've already grown to love them all.
Saturday we went knocking all day and found some pretty awesome people, none of them were really interested or willing to listen to us about the Gospel, but some we were able to just talk to and get to know besides that. They were kind and I learned a lot about India! (Our area is full of Indians) Did you know India has 28 states? And that each state has its own gods it worships? It's pretty amazing stuff. I love learning about the world :)
Sunday was church!!!! I actually got to meet some members! Yaaaaaay! But also, not really haha. The ward here is kinda full of antisocial/socially awkward people...so none of them really talk to us. Haha, were kinda the outcasts here- they aren't too missionary minded. So it'll be an interesting process trying to get them to like us! I'm calling it "Project: Missionaries Are People Too". I'm going to kill them with kindness, and they will suffocate in my love. Muhahahahaha! >;)

But here are some highlights from studies/the woman's broadcast/randomness of this week!

I found this super awesome talk/quote from President Benson from the Oct 1985 conference called "Born of God": "The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature." I never thought of it this way before. But it's so true! In the MTC I learned that "the what informs, but the why transforms". God doesn't just give us a fish so we can eat for that day, He gives us knowledge on how to fish so we can eat for a lifetime. He doesn't inform, He transforms- and we then become new creatures, willing to do His will. Mosiah 27:25-26

I loved loved loved loved LOVED the Woman's Broadcast on Saturday! Sister Esplin's analogy of looking into a mirror while trying to help others vs. looking through a window while trying to help others really illustrated the point that we all need to be engaged in selfless service. Selfish service gets us no where, and it really isn't worthy of being called service sometimes. When we focus on others, we know we are the Lord's hands. I loved when Sister Marriott said "BUILD BEDROCK FAITH"  the definition of bedrock, is a solid rock underlying loose deposits. It involves digging deep. We cannot build a shallow foundation on Christ, we can always dig deeper. But the whole night brought to mind the song that Sister Teeples composed the summer before my senior year "Go and Bring Them In". This song is still sunk deep into my heart because of the overwhelming Spirit I felt while singing that at the trek firesides and on trek itself. It really is our call to go and bring the struggling, the downtrodden, the weak and helpless, the failing hearts, the hopeless- our brothers and sisters- into our hearts and into our service and into our love. How great is our calling! We can give selfless service to everyone around us! And we can know we are the Lord's hands while doing so. God has given us so many blessings, but the greatest of all: is the ability to serve.

It's been a difficult, sad, wonderful, fun, and awesome week. I hope your weeks are awesomesauce this week!!!!
I love you all!
Stay Jersey Strong.
Love, Sister McAllister
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment